photo blog  photo tinker.jpg  photo connect.jpg  photo present.jpg

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

Last night I came across a new blog, The Daring Librarian, that I instantly fell in love with, mainly because of the title of the first post I saw: "10 Super Geeky Tips for the New Year". I like quick tips, and I am a self-proclaimed geek, so it sounded like the perfect post for me! Here is a basic rundown of her top 10, and check out the link for more detailed info on each.

1. Change your passwords. Yes, ALL of them. "According to CNN Tech an 8 digit password can be hacked in 2 hours but a 12 character password would take 17 years."


2. Dump your cache, cookies, and clear your browsing history in whichever web browser you use (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.).
3. Consolidate your flash drives. Clean out things you don't need anymore and backup the important things you can't live without.
4. Wait, forget the flash drive, try a cloud! Something like GoogleDocs, Dropbox, iCloud, etc. (Dropbox is my personal favorite!)

5. Edit your privacy settings and Facebook friendships.
6. Be transparent. What's your "digital footprint"?
7. Buy your name... domain name, that is.
8. Get Wikified. (At Central we already do this on our Sharing Place! Yippie!)
9. Build your PLN - Twitter is actually an awesome place to connect with other educators! (Follow me @iTeacherLauren :)
10. Back up your data - purchasing an external hard drive is a great investment!

Like I said, check out the original post "10 Super Geeky Tips for the New Year" for detailed descriptions of each step. She has some great ideas!

No comments :

Post a Comment